Stock assessments of wild fisheries in Tasmania are undertaken by our nominated service provider, the
Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies (IMAS) at the University of Tasmania.
Stock Assessment Reports
For current and past fishery assessment reports for the following fisheries, please see the Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies' website
Tasmanian Wild Fisheries Assessments.
For printed assessments, see their
Publications & Resources page.
- Rock lobster
- Giant crab
- Other fisheries including recreational projects
For a list of current research projects being undertaken by IMAS, go to the
page on the IMAS website.
Sustainable Marine Research Collaboration Agreement
Wild fisheries stock assessments are provided to the Tasmanian Government under a Sustainable Marine Research Collaboration Agreement (SMRCA) with the Institute for Marine and Antarctic Studies
. This broadly includes providing fishery assessments, management advice and tactical projects on current fishery issues.
As partners in the Sustainable Marine Research Collaboration Agreement, IMAS and the Tasmanian Government aim to:
- undertake leading, world-class research into temperate marine and coastal research.
- support the effective and sustainable management of Tasmanian marine resources and ensure that the maximum benefit accrues to the Tasmanian environment, economy and its industries.
- provide fisheries, aquaculture, estuarine and coastal environmental research and development services to the Crown, the University, and the fishing and aquaculture industries.
- support the Crown’s legislative and administrative obligations through the provision of research, data and advice.
to assist in developing and encouraging new industry and in marketing Tasmania’s natural marine resources in a way that is sustainable now and for future generations.
- build capacity of people working in temperate marine research, including postgraduate students.
- encourage partnerships, linkages and integrated arrangements which would facilitate achievement of the Agreement through industry engagement.