Recreational fishers are reporting catches of large-sized Atlantic salmon escapees in the D'Entrecasteaux Channel and Huon River areas following a recent escape event from a nearby aquaculture pen.
- A reminder that the bag limit is 12, possession limit 24 and there is no boat limit.
- If you are fishing in inland waters (only rod and line fishing is allowed), the bag limit is 5 and you need an inland fisheries licence.
- You cannot sell, buy, barter or raffle recreationally caught fish but you are allowed to give your catch away.
If you are using a net please remember:
- the net soak time is no longer than 2 hours if you are in a Shark Refuge Area. This includes the D'Entrecasteaux Channel (North West Bay River and Huon River).
- Inland waters in the Huon River commence upstream of the signage installed on the bank of Castle Forbes Bay and Glazier Bay.
- Night netting is not allowed and some areas are closed to netting.
- Your net must be adequately weighted so it doesn't roll up and become a ghost net.
- There must be buoys at each end marked with your licence code and 'G'.
- Set over sand and not reef to avoid catching species such as bastard trumpeter.
- Don't set nets near seabird rookeries.
Check the netting rules and the South East area net restrictions.