Catch Reporting FAQs

​Why is catch reporting mandatory?

By requiring all fishers to report their catch (or no catch) every time they go rock lobster fishing, fishery managers and scientists can get better quality and more consistent data about the rock lobster fishery.

More accurate data means we can better manage the rock lobster stock for fishers. This is especially important in areas where stock is not doing well, like the East Coast Stock Rebuilding Zone. Voluntary reporting would not give the same quality or amount of data.

I have encountered a problem reporting with the app. What do I do?

If you have encountered an issue when making a catch report via the Fishing Tas app, please check Troubleshooting for solutions and next steps.

If I you are catch sharing, who reports the catch?

If you are sharing rock lobster when group fishing, the person who will be keeping the rock lobster must report it as part of their catch.

For example, if you go fishing with a friend and catch 4 in your pot and they catch 0 in their pot and each fisher keeps two rock lobster at the end of the day, each fisher should report they caught two lobster and released 0.

Before you catch share, make sure you understand the rules that apply.

Why do I have to make a Catch Report even if I don’t catch anything?

'Zero catch days' can tell us a lot about the condition of rock lobster stocks in different parts of the state. If most fishers succeed in catching lobster when they try to, that is an indicator that stocks are doing well. On the other hand, if many fishers report that they are aren’t catching anything, that’s a warning sign that stocks in that area are in trouble.

Why is an app being used for catch reporting?

An app was chosen for catch reporting because it allows real-time data collection, is cost-effective, and requires little effort from fishers in comparison to other catch reporting methods.

Other methods, like tags, were considered but were ultimately discounted due to the low level of success seen in other states around Australia. They are also labour intensive for the fisher and fishery managers and are not environmentally friendly.

Will mandatory catch reporting replace the current IMAS rock lobster survey?

Catch reporting will not immediately replace the annual IMAS telephone survey currently used to assess recreational rock lobster catch. Rather, data from catch reporting will provide additional information that can be used to supplement existing rock lobster stock assessment methods. 

The IMAS telephone survey will continue to occur. If you are contacted by IMAS and asked to be involved in the survey it is highly encouraged that you participate as it will help us evaluate how effective catch reporting is. It also gives us a better understanding of the overall recreational rock lobster catch in Tasmania.

You must still do catch reporting, even if you participate in the IMAS telephone survey. Catch reporting is a new tool in the toolkit for estimating recreational rock lobster catch in Tasmania and will be refined over coming seasons. The IMAS telephone survey will continue to run whilst this occurs.

Do I still have to make transit reports?

Rock lobster catch reports are not substitutes for transit reports. If you are transiting the D’Entrecasteaux Channel when the East Coast Stock Rebuilding Zone is closed, or moving between size limit zones, you must still make a transit report using the telephone reporting service.

Do I have to report exactly where I caught my rock lobster?

No, you do not have to report the exact area where you caught your lobster. We are only looking for the general area. Knowing the general area where you caught, released, or tried to catch lobster helps us understand how stock is doing in that area.

Why do I have to report how many rock lobster I release?

Reporting the number of rock lobster released can provide valuable information about how rock lobster stocks are doing. For example, if fishers are releasing rock lobster but aren’t taking home their bag limit, that might indicate there are lots of undersized lobster in an area, but not many legal size lobster.

The citizen science information you choose to report, like the size of rock lobster, gives more context for this data.

If you are sharing rock lobster when group fishing, the person who will be keeping the rock lobster must report it as part of their catch.

Can I provide additional information about my catch (i.e weight, sex and length)?

If you are using the Fishing Tas app, you can choose to provide citizen science information about your catch before submitting your Catch Report. After reviewing your catch report, a pop-up will appear asking if you would to submit your report or provide voluntary data.

See 'Providing citizen science data' in How to report your rock lobster catch using the Fishing Tas app for more information.

Citizen science prompt 

This optional citizen science information is useful for fisheries scientists and managers to understand what stock looks like in different areas.

What happens if I don’t make a report?

Rock lobster catch reporting is mandatory for all holders of a recreational rock lobster licence. Penalties apply if you fail to make a Catch Report and you have fished for rock lobster (3 penalty units - currently equivalent to $585).

Can I make transit reports using the app?

No, you cannot currently make transit reports using the app. You must make transit reports by calling the telephone reporting service (1300 720 647).

Do I have to make a report before I start fishing for rock lobster?

You are not required to make any reports before you start fishing for rock lobster.

The only report you have to make is a Catch Report before leaving your point of landing after fishing. You must make this report even if you didn't catch anything.


    Fishwatch Report illegal fishing

    0427 655 557

    What to report? arrow button

    Contact us

    Recreational Fishing

    Level 3, 134 Macquarie St

    Hobart TAS 7000

    Phone: (03) 6165 3233, 1300 720 647


    Commercial Fisheries

    Level 3, 134 Macquarie St

    GPO Box 44

    Phone: (03) 6165 3000, 1300 368 550


    Commercial Fisheries Licensing

    Level 1, 134 Macquarie St

    GPO Box 44

    Phone: (03) 6165 3000, 1300 368 550