The Fishing Tas app has all of your favourite features from the Tas Fish Guide app, plus some new ones.
Here are step-by-step instructions for making the most out of all the features of the Fishing Tas app.
Using the species guide
The species guide contains information on over 150
species found in Tasmanian waters, including rules, fishing tips,
identifying features and more.
Finding a species you're looking for
Information about a species
- Rules – The basic rules you need to know when fishing for this species, like seasons, bag, boat and possession limits, any regional rule variations and size limits. For species with more complex rules (like rock lobster), information about other rules can be found under the ‘More’ tab.
- About – Information about a species, like the size they grow to, identifying features and responsible fishing tips.
- More – Information on other rules that apply for this species (like transiting requirements for rock lobster), plus other interesting information like habitat, fishing information, handling information and tips for cooking!
Using the map
The map shows the location of fishing facilities, boat ramps, and area restrictions which apply when sea fishing.
Navigating the map
- Move around the map by making a dragging motion with one finger.
- Zoom in and out by making a pinching motion with two fingers.
- Use two fingers to rotate the map. If you have rotated the map, and want to go back to a north orientation, tap the arrow in the top right corner of the map.
- Tap the circle button in the bottom right corner of the map to zoom into your location (Note: This feature will only work if your phone location is on, and you have given the app permission to access your location).
- Tap the expand button in the bottom right corner to zoom out and see all of Tasmania.
Seeing information about a location
You can tap on an icon or area restriction on the map to see information about it. For example, you might tap on a fishing spot to see what sort of facilities it has, or tap on a place with an area restriction to see what rules apply in that area.
Changing map layers
You can change what information is displayed on the map by tapping the layer icon in the top right corner. You can toggle boat ramps, fishing spots and area restrictions on and off.
When you have area restrictions on, you can also select what type of area restrictions you would like to show from the list. Selected layers are in blue.
Information about other rules
You can find information about other rules that apply to sea fishing in Tasmania, like licences, gear restrictions and what you can use for bait, under the ‘Rules’ tab.
Rock lobster catch reporting
You can find other useful fishing information, information about the app and contact details under the ‘More’ tab.