Where to fish
Popular fishing spots
Waubs Bay, The Gulch Wharf, Coles Bay Jetty, Swanwick, Swansea Pier, Little Swanport, Triabunna, Prosser River, Earlham Lagoon.
What will I catch from shore?
Calamari, sand flathead, bream, silver trevally, wrasse and garfish.
Local fishing facts
- From a boat you can also catch tiger flathead, Australian salmon, mackerel, leatherjacket, yellowtail kingfish, cod, warehou,
albacore, skipjack tuna and gurnard.
- Great Oyster Bay, East Coast Waters and Mercury Passage are
Shark Refuge Areas. No taking of sharks, skates or rays other than elephantfish.
- There are Marine Reserves at
Maria Island and
Governors Island. Fishing is not allowed but you can enjoy diving and snorkeling to observe the unique underwater habitat including an abundance of reef fish, rock lobster and kelp beds.
- Breeding aggregations of southern calamari occur off the East Coast during spring when they lay their eggs over seagrass. A
seasonal squid closure applies each year.
- Bream fishing is popular in East Coast rivers and lagoons.