Shark Refuge Areas include:
- Blackman Bay
- Derwent River
- Frederick Henry Bay and Norfolk Bay
- D'Entrecasteaux Channel
- Georges Bay
- Great Oyster Bay
- East Coast Waters
- Mercury Passage
- Port Sorell
- Kanamaluka/Tamar River
These areas are important habitat for the breeding of school and gummy sharks, skates and rays.
- No shark, skate or ray of any kind (other than elephantfish) may be taken.
- Do not target sharks at all in Shark Refuge Areas. Return accidentally caught shark to the water immediately.
- Using set lines and auxiliary fishing gear is prohibited in Shark Refuge Areas.
- Using mullet nets is prohibited in Shark Refuge Areas and other netting restrictions may apply.
- Where permitted, gillnets may only be set for up to 2 hours.
- You may carry sharks, skates or rays through a Shark Refuge Area if they were taken outside that area.